- 5 Million Lives Campaign to reduce medical errors from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
Read about this important initiative on IHI's web site.
- A Call to Governance: Governance Manual for Board Members, Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Health System
This 44-page manual developed by SCLHS for its directors and trustees, is a concise but rich resource including: the system's mission, vision, and values; the fiduciary duties, roles and responsibilities of boards; and the specific practices it recommends to its affiliate boards for good governance. ©2008 by Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Health System, reprinted with permission for reference by other health systems.
- AHA Advocacy - Recent Advisories
- AHA Issue Brief: Moving Towards Bundled Payment
- Best Practices for CEO Selection
Read insights from leading search consultants Larry Tyler, Jane Groves and Michael Doody, plus get advice from trustees who've chaired successful search processes. Plus: Catholic Health East shares an innovatrecive tool to help search committee's explore a candidate's core values and leadership abilities.
- Community Benefit Resources for Boards
- Confidential, Individual Self Evaluation, from Northeast Health, Troy, NY
NEH asks its board members to evaluate to evaluate themselves and discuss their membership confidentially with the Board Chair. The Governance Assessment Process (GAP) from the Center for Healthcare Governance is a comprehensive system used to assess the overall performance of health care organization boards.
- Corporate governance implications of new IRS Form 990, from Michael Peregrine and the American Health Lawyers Association
- Evaluating New Strategic Projects
The board of Adirondack Medical Center has adopted 14 criteria for evaluating new strategic projects. Click here to see the criteria and read how the medical center uses them. Adirondack was the winner of Brim Healthcare's 2002 governance award.
- Great Boards' Buyer's Guide to Board Portals
- Individual Trustee Assessment Tools, Presbyterian Health Services, Albuquerque, NM
PHS approaches individual assessment as one part of its Board Excellence Maintenance Cycle, using these tools. The Center for Healthcare Governance partnered with the Health Research and Educational Trust (HRET) to convene Blue Ribbon Panels to examine critical issues facing health care boards and practices that lead to exceptional governance. Learn how the Governance Assessment Process (GAP) can assist in revealing an organization's strengths and weaknesses.
- Legal Obligations of Not-for-Profit Boards
Written by Linda B. Miller, President of Volunteer Trustees, this short-and-sweet article describes the three fundamental legal responsibilities of boards. It's a valuable orientation tool for new members.
- Outline for Orienting New Trustees from Stamford Health System
This detailed outline complete with educational objectives and topics will help you structure an orientation process for your board. Plus, check out Great Boards' Best Board Practices Checklists for Orienting New Members, including 17 tips for designing a board orientation process and 18 ideas for compiling a comprehensive New Trustee Orientation Manual.
- Peer Assessment Instruments, Catholic Healthcare Partners, Cincinnati, OH
CHP spent a year developing its individual trustee competencies and peer assessment tool. CHP’s Governance Committee also assesses members eligible for re-election using another instrument. Learn how the Governance Assessment Process (GAP) can assist with peer assessment.
- Sample Dashboard Report
Developed by Middlesex Health System, Middletown, CT, this report displays key performance indicators, each one clearly defined, that allow the board to oversee financial performance, human resources, operations, and quality of care. Use this sample as a guideline for customizing a dashboard for your board.